Friday, April 21, 2017

Riding the waves of Nausea

 I had my first AC Chemo treatment on Wed 04/19/17
The nurses were wonderful, and made me feel comfortable and at ease with everything. 
It's  been a ROUGH 2 days though. My nausea hit me within hours on the first day.  Even with The  pre meds in my IV for nausea, as well as the  compazine they gave me to take at home didn't help. I could not leave the couch all day and evening, until I went to bed. I could not eat anything at all either.  I DID sleep through the night, and for that I was grateful. 

 I woke up yesterday mildly queasy. I made myself eat a yogurt and some almond for breakfast, especially because i had to take my steroids with food. I tried to eat a banana, but could not. I took my vitamins, but was afraid to take another compazine.   My nausea got worse through the morning. I called my Onc, and they had me come in for more nausea meds through the IV as well as fluids. It made me feel better, but still mildly queasy for the rest of the day. it was manageable though. I spent the day on the couch again, not eating much but some saltines, and trying to stay hydrated.  

By around 10 PM I felt good enough to want some food, but nothing healthy appealed to me.. I wanted what my family had for dinner...  a Taco Bell Taco... that was the ONLY thing that appealed to me. I said a prayer of apology to my intestines, and ate it, and it was soo good!!    

They told me at the onc office to try compazine again if I felt nauseous, and if that doesn't work, they gave me ativan. I asked for an Rx for Zofran, but the Onc didn't want me mixing the Zofran with the pre-meds for nausea that were still in my system. They said they might try that on the weekend if I am still bad, or the next round. 
I think this morning I am coming out of the funk.  Still mildly queasy, so I already took a compazine. Hopefully it will work this time. If not I have the Ativan. I really wish I could try medical cannabis. They passed it and legalized it , but haven't implemented the program in my state yet. They say at the earliest 2018, and I'll be done with chemo by then. 
My husband has been wonderful and has used the past three days of his PTO to stay home with me, and get the kids off to school in the AM. My Mo will help us with my next chemo round. 1 down, 3 to go. I can do this!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment