Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Port Placement Surgery and some pre-blog journal entries

I had my port put in yesterday, but we will get to that in a minute. First, I wanted to share a few journal entries I wrote before deciding to make this blog. They are very disjointed thoughts i jotted down, but wanted to share them here.
_______________________________________________________________________________
03/25/17
It feels so strange to feel normal knowing there is something inside me that can kill me.
It's going to be a challenge, a challenge I wont say I'm ready for, but I am willing to fight so hard to win. 

I’m googling so many things I never thought I would have to.

03/29/17
Today, I will color my hair for the last time in a long time. . I didn’t expect it, but I got very emotional when walking in to Sally's yesterday to buy it.

04/10/17
Been so busy with preperations, cleaning house, buying new sheets, toothbrushes to change for every chemo session. Busy with testing, MRI's Blood work, X-rays, more Ultrasounds, Echocardiogram, EKG.  Buying over the counter meds to deal with side effects.  Making and taking phone calls all related to my treatment and testing.  Tomorrow I get my port put in, and start chemo next week. Tentative for Thurs the 20th, as longs as insurance approves (I know they will), but it’s a formality. I keep touching my hair today, knowing it will be gone in 3 weeks (starts to fall out 2 weeks after first treatment) 

Here is my recent hair....

I'm going to miss my hair, but going bald is a small price to pay to save my life. Even knowing that, it's still very emotional. 

_______________________________________________________________________________

And now on to todays post about my port surgery.......



I had my port installed yesterday.  I spent most of the day waiting to get the twilight anesthesia drugs out of mysystem. I felt pretty woozy till the evening. When I first got home I was nauseous, but a nap helped that immensely. Jim brought my a Gyro, curly fries and an andies milk shake from Arbys last night. He is taking care of me so good. I worry about his emotions through this. I know he is worried, as am I, but his stoicism, and .. “we have to just do it” attitude really help me. Sleeping was rough last night. I couldn’t find a good position where my heavy boobs weren’t pulling at the incision. I ended up sleeping on my non port side with rolled up leggings between my boobs to keep the left port side boob from hanging down and pulling at the incision. I am sore today, and a little swollen, but I know it will heal well. I will eat lots of good for me protein rich foods today.  Now that the port is in things are starting to feel more real than ever. Chemo countdown  - 8 days away. I am scared, but anxious to get this treatment show on the road!!

No comments:

Post a Comment